Senior Data Engineer / ETL Developer
eCivis is a fast-growing, mission-based SaaS company in the emerging Govtech market. eCivis provides the #1 SaaS/Cloud grants management and cost allocation software solution in state, local and tribal government markets. eCivis is part of GTY Technology (NASDAQ: GTYH) the leading public sector SaaS company offering a cloud-based suite of solutions for North American state and local governments.
Our company’s mission is to deliver a fully integrated cloud platform that helps state, local and tribal government agencies maximize their grant revenues, track financial and program performance, prepare cost allocation plans and budgets, stay compliant and access free open data tools to better utilize Federal resources.
The Senior Data Engineer / ETL Developer is responsible for the design, development, implementation, and support of new and existing highly efficient, highly scalable ETL processes. You will work closely with our engineering, and implementation teams to implement solutions to answer complex questions and drive business decisions. You will apply proven communication skills, problem-solving skills, and knowledge of best practices related to the design, development, and deployment of data warehouse and business intelligence solutions.
The ideal candidate will be a self-motivated individual with experience in AWS tools for cloud-based development. You will be an important member of the data team tasked with transforming a traditional enterprise data architecture into a next-generation cloud-based streaming platform in a fun, challenging, fast-paced work environment.
- Architect, review, and implement database schema for ETL solutions in various databases including Microsoft SQL Server, Amazon Relational Database Services for SQL Server, AWS Redshift/Postgres, and MySQL.
- Develop modern data architectural approaches for ETL processes, including the retrieval of disparate data and transforming it to work with our enterprise SaaS application for government grants management.
- Design, develop, implement, and optimize ETL processes that merge data from disparate sources into Microsoft SQL Server and AWS Redshift for consumption by enterprise SaaS applications.
- Detect data quality issues, identify their root causes, implement fixes, and design data audits to capture issues.
- Distill technical requirements into the product development and operational process via continuous collaboration with customer implementation, product, and engineering team members.
- Influence and communicate with all levels of stakeholders including customers, implantation specialists, and business users.
- Implement security best practices and other compliance requirements.
- Able to anticipate problems and proactively develop appropriate solutions for our Data team.
- Must be presently authorized to work in the U.S. without a requirement for work authorization sponsorship by our company for this position now or in the future
- 3+ years of experience working with a variety of ETL tools and monitoring of real-time ETL and batch ETL processes, preferably AWS Glue
- Experience with a scripting or programming language (R, Ruby, Python, Java, etc.) a plus
- Microsoft SQL Server and Amazon Relational Database Service for SQL Server, AWS Redshift/Postgres experience, MySQL a plus
- Experience building data import/implementation jobs utilizing validation and transformation processes
- Experience building self-service reporting solutions using business intelligence software (e.g., Microsoft BI, AWS Quicksight, etc.) a plus
- Demonstrated proficiency in developing technical skills and performing problem-solving
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills and ability to multi-task within a team-oriented environment
- Clear communication and presentation skills capable of being client-facing to assist technical conversations to aide our customers
- Ability to maintain all documentation on ETL process and procedures
- Demonstrated proficiency in developing and supporting extract, transform, and load (ETL) processes
- Experience conducting project-specific data analysis that includes analyzing and mapping required data and supporting all facets of the ETL process
- Ability to assist with the creation and maintenance of ETL specifications (e.g., source-to-target maps)
- Ability to develop, test, and maintain the code required to move data
- Ability to participate in production on-call support rotation schedule for ETL processing and completion
- Ability to assist with estimates for the ETL process and suggest improvements
- Must be committed to incorporating security into all decisions and daily job responsibilities
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Management Information Systems, or related field preferred
- 3+ years in an ETL development role utilizing an industry-recognized ETL tool
- 3+ years of developing and supporting a data warehouse
- Strong knowledge and experience with SQL programming, including stored procedures, triggers, functions, and error trapping
- Prior experience extending or migrating existing data pipelines to cloud platforms such as AWS
- Experience with AWS services, specifically lambda functions, Data pipeline, and Glue is a strong advantage
- Experience with databases such as Microsoft, PeopleSoft, Oracle, and others also a strong advantage
Job Type: Full-time – Remote USA